Admission to the Program
Application Deadline: February 1st of your sophomore year or departmental approval.
THREE PHASES TO THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Complete the application information. Materials available in College Hall 103 and on-line.
- Have a faculty member outside the Education Department who has served as your professor write a recommendation on your behalf. Secondary majors and those pursuing K-12 certification MUST request the recommendation from a faculty member in the academic area in which certification is being sought.
- Successfully complete the three sections of the Praxis I exam. It is recommended that students take the Praxis I no later than November or January of their sophomore year. A minimum score of 170 on each section is required for admission to the program. Check with Ms. Diane Harrington in Room 103 College Hall for application materials and test dates. For further information about the Praxis I go to: http://www.praxisprepinfo.com For multiple free modules for Praxis practice go to: http://www.testprepreview.com/praxis_practice.htm
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION TO THE
TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM
- An all-college grade point average of at least 2.50.
- A declared major in elementary or secondary education.
- One positive recommendation from a faculty member, who is not a member of the Education Department.
- Successful completion of the Praxis I exam. Highly recommend taking either at end of first year or in fall of sophomore year.
- Successful completion of two 200 level education courses.
- Be in good standing with the Office of Student Affairs -- not on probation.
- Any assignment which results in an unmet (U) rating on the Standard Assessment Report for a course must be completed and/or corrected within 2 blocks of finishing the course (ex. work from a Block 5 course with an unmet rating must be satisfactorily completed by the end of block 7 for the unmet rating to be removed). Students who fail to remediate their work in this time frame will not be allowed to continue in the Education Department.
The Education Department will notify students in writing by March 1 concerning the status of applications for admission.