First Year Students:
- Take EDU 215 or EDU 230 and one additional 200-level Education course.
- Register for PRAXIS™ CORE ACADEMIC SKILLS FOR EDUCATORS
- Complete Teacher Education Program Application
- Declare Major
- Complete PRAXIS™ CORE ACADEMIC SKILLS FOR EDUCATORS
- Complete remaining 200-level Education courses
- Complete Student Teaching Application (*link)
- Meet with Mentor Teacher before leaving for the summer.
- Complete Senior Check with Registrar before May 1.
- Complete all required 300-level EDU courses.
Graduates speak with Cindy Postler regarding licensure application materials
Reduced Tuition Policy for Teacher Certification
Cornell College fifth-year seniors may receive a reduced tuition fee of $2,000 for completion of teacher certification. To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:
- They must be in their fifth year of study at Cornell College.
- They must have completed four years of undergraduate study at Cornell College.
- Students may have multiple majors/minors but this policy applies only if they are enrolled in student teaching and senior seminar.
- They need to be enrolled only in student teaching and EDU 483 Education Senior Seminar to complete their degree.
- They must complete their student teaching locally in a school placement made by the Education Department or in an approved off-campus student teaching program (IU Global Gateway for Teachers or the ACM’s Urban Education Program).
The reduced tuition rate does not include room and board. Students who believe they are qualified must contact the Education Department Chair not later than the following dates with their intent to apply for the reduced tuition rate.
November 1—if student teaching in the following spring semester
May 1- if student teaching in the following fall semester