Operation Walk: Honduras
Block 2, Fall 2016
Application Opens: Monday, September 5th
Applications Due: Saturday (yes, Saturday), September 10th at 4 pm to the Associate Director of Dimensions. Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
Students are expected to review this page in its entirety and the following information before applying:
- Only students who have completed at least 8 Cornell credits may participate in Operation Walk. Additionally, students must enroll for at least 1 Cornell course after the conclusion of their Operation Walk experience, as this opportunity is only provided to current students. Students from all disciplines may apply, however, our selection criteria includes the relevance of this medically-related experience to the student's academic plan and career aspirations.
- Because passports and VISAs must be provided to the host country well in advance of the trip, only students with a current passport meeting the expiration guidelines set by the country to be visited may apply.
- Participation would preclude you from taking a traditional course during 2nd block of the 2016-17 academic year. It is imperative that you consult with your Faculty Advisor before applying to ensure your participation would not adversely impact your academic progress and anticipated graduation date.
Earning Academic Credit
You may earn a half (0.5) credit for an internship or a full credit (1) for an individualized project, however both require additional academic work. Students who earn credit for the experience will need to secure a faculty sponsor. Dimensions can mentor students regarding this process.
The Operation Walk application consists of the following materials:
- Personal Statement
- Unofficial copy of your Cornell transcript
- Note on language skills
- Passport copy
Click here for additional application information and suggestions.
Application materials must be submitted electronically or delivered to the Associate Director of Dimensions by 4:00 p.m. on the application deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Students that are selected after the first round will then have additional steps:
- Passport Verification
Operation Walk Participant Expectations
Trip participants are required to submit a summary report including site photos. Additional expectations, such as completion of a travel consultation and compliance with immunization recommendations are detailed in the Expectations of Selected Applicants section of this website.
* If you withdraw from enrollment or do not subsequently enroll for at least one course following the trip, you must reimburse Dimensions: The Center for the Science and Culture of Healthcare the full amount of expenses paid by Dimensions for your participation. You would have 30 days to repay the expenses following e-mail and/or U.S. mail notification that repayment is due. After this 30 day period, a $100 billing fee will be assessed and included with the overdue amount and then added to any unpaid balance of tuition and will be subject to the regular financial collection procedures of Cornell College.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I apply as an underclassman?
A. Yes. The committee uses ten selection criteria. However, some of these criteria may be more difficult to demonstrate for a student who is relatively new to Cornell (e.g. strong performance in a substantial distribution of coursework and relevance of the experience to a student’s academic plan and career aspirations).
Q. Can a member of the selection committee serve as a reference on my behalf?
Q. What abilities and characteristics should be addressed by the faculty and/or staff member who recommends me?
A. The Dimensions website provides specific advice for faculty and staff who serve as students' references.
Q. What expenses would I incur for my participation?
A. Dimensions will fund airline tickets, baggage fees, ground transportation, VISA and reasonable meal expenses (using Cornell College’s Travel Expense Criteria). Students would pay for their passport fee and any sightseeing-related expenses.