Cornell's Health Professions Committee (HPC) assists students applying to graduate programs in the health sciences. The committee should be utilized by all medical school applicants, and can be used by students applying to dental, veterinary, physician assistant, optometry, and physical therapy programs.
HPC members review each student's application in its entirety. In addition, a committee letter of recommendation is authored and accompanies the student's application.
Dimensions purchases a Virtual Evaluations record for student applicants. Virtual Evaluations is web-based system designed to transmit recommendation letters in a secure, confidential, and efficient manner, eliminating the need for students to send a set of recommendation letters to each school.
Please download the Health Professions Committee Guide to review the application process. For medical school applicants, the following materials must be submitted to the Associate Director of Dimensions by July 1*.
- Polished personal statement (You should have received editorial feedback on several drafts of the statement before providing it to the HPC.)
- Unofficial transcript from Cornell College
- Official transcripts from any other college where coursework has been completed
- Graduate admission test scores (e.g. MCAT, DAT, GRE) The centralized application
- DO NOT SUBMIT your application before the committee has provided feedback on your application. Work offline and send a pdf version of the application to Dimensions as an email attachment. A committee letter of recommendation will not be authored if student submits application prior to working with the HPC.
- This form is contained within the downloadable HPC Guide
- The student's unique applicant ID number(s)
- Full name of each school to which you are applying
- The name and contact information for a fourth member of your HPC
- It is HIGHLY recommended the 4th member is NOT a faculty/staff member in the natural sciences
- List of all individual letter of recommendation writers and their contact information
- All letters of recommendation that will be submitted on your behalf.
- These letters should be sent directly from the letter writer to the Associate Director of Dimensions
- Please alert your letter writers that their letter must be signed and on letterhead
*The July 1st deadline may be extended for other programs, including Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT), Physician Assistant (PA) and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) applicants because the admissions deadlines for these programs fall later in the calendar year.