Gender Roles and Identity
Gender roles and identity are issues determined and challenged by society's beliefs and standards. In a positive sense, gender roles and identity help us establish a part of our self-identity. In a negative sense, gender roles and identity sometimes restrict our choices in self-concept, professional roles, and societal roles.
Information on this page will hopefully serve to help individuals better determine for themselves how to establish their own individual roles within gender and gender identity.
Also, several internet sites exist with information on gender identity, orientation, and relationship issues. You might want to check out:
- OutProud which includes essays, brochures, and more for young gay and lesbian adults and their parents.
- Oasis a virtual magazine for lesbian, gay, and bisexual teens.
- The National Association of Student Personnel Administrators has compiled a list of bibliographies, some of which relate to LGBT issues.
- Wesleyan University has compiled a resource list that includes student organizations and information networks.
- LGBTQ student guide to resources and support
- Queer Resources Directory
- Queer Nation's Collected Queer Information
- QUEER FRONTIERS: Queer Theory and Studies Pages
- The QRD's List of LesBiGay Mailing Lists
- Wolfe Video Home Page
- Windy City Times E-zine
- UK Gay
- GAYS (male oriented, somewhat commercial)
- Lesbian.org also contains info. about Lesbian Avengers
- Dyke TV Home Page
- NOW and Lesbian Rights
- Girlfriends: The Magazine of Lesbian Enjoyment
- Isle of Lesbos
For Allies, Friends, and Family Members
- PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) support network for family and friends of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trangender individuals.
The following information is from the ACPA Standing Committee for Gay, Lesbian, and Biseuxal Awareness. See if these links interest you:
- National Gay & Lesbian Task Force.
- Human Rights Campaign makes e-mail activism easy with its Action e-mail feature. Also provides links to information on Employment Non-discrimination Act, AIDS legislation, anti-gay legislation, and lesbian health issues and policy.
- Community United Against Violence is the nation's oldest community project focused on anti-gay hate violence.
- Partners Task Force for Gay and Lesbian Couples contains resources and links for information on domestic partnerships, ceremonial marriages, etc.
- Transgender Family & Friends Support Network organized by PFLAG to provide a support network for people who have friends or family members who are transgender.