Gender and Sexuality
Gender roles and identity are issues determined and challenged by society's beliefs and standards. In a positive sense, gender roles and identity help us establish a part of our self-identity. In a negative sense, gender roles and identity sometimes restrict our choices in self-concept, professional roles, and societal roles.
Information on this page will hopefully serve to help individuals better determine for themselves how to establish their own individual roles within gender and gender identity as well as explore their sexuality in a healthy way.
Also, several internet sites exist with information on gender identity, orientation, and relationship issues. You might want to check out:
- Oasis an online magazine for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning young people.
- NASPA (Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education) has a "Gender & Sexuality Knowledge Community" with resources and information, including links to national organizations.
- LGBTQ student guide to resources and support
- Trevor Helpline (24 hour suicide hotline for GLBT youth)
- Deaf Queer Resource Center
- Servicemembers Legal Network
- Isle of Lesbos
- GLAAD.org Transgender Resources
- PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) support network for family and friends of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trangender individuals.
The following information is from the ACPA Standing Committee for Gay, Lesbian, and Biseuxal Awareness. See if these links interest you:
- National LGBTQ Task Force provides information and advocacy, working for freedom and equality for LGBTQ people
- Human Rights Campaign makes e-mail activism easy with its Action e-mail feature. Also provides links to information on Employment Non-discrimination Act, AIDS legislation, anti-gay legislation, and lesbian health issues and policy.
- Community United Against Violence is the nation's oldest community project focused on anti-gay hate violence.
- Partners Task Force for Gay and Lesbian Couples contains resources and links for information on domestic partnerships, ceremonial marriages, etc.
- Straight for Equality: Trans Allies organized by PFLAG to provide a resource and information for people who are not LGBT to help promote equality for all people; links to many online resources.