Cole named official public library
After a century of sharing its resources with Mount Vernon residents, Cornells library has become the official Mount Vernon Public Library, thanks to an ordinance passed by the City Council.
The ordinance formalizes the gentlemans agreement between Cornell and Mount Vernon since 1901, when the two parties agreed to cooperate on building and maintaining a public library. The Carnegie Library opened on campus in 1905. Cole Library opened in 1957 and is now the nations only private college library that also serves as its communitys public library.
Cole Library will become eligible for state and county funding for public libraries, which is estimated at $10,000 per year, and can compete for state grants to public libraries. Funds would be used to increase materialsincluding acquisitions in video, CD, and books-on-tape collectionsand programs such as musical performances or lectures.
Sesquicentennial in 2003-04
Planning is now under way for Cornell to celebrate its sesquicentennial during the academic year 2003-04. The Alumni Board is taking an active role in the planning, which will include seven to 10 off-campus events in cities with the largest numbers of alumni. Special speakers, events, merchandise, and historical recognition are planned for Homecoming 2003 (Oct. 17-19) and throughout the school year.