Cornell College Department
About Cornell Academics Admissions Alumni Athletics Offices Library
Home > Cornell Report > Fall2002


FALL 2 0 0 2

Cornell Rocks

  Judy Kidder Browning  

Hamline University
St. Paul, Minn.

Proposal Rock was moved to Hamline from a nearby pond when urban development overtook the pond. Its name comes from the many marriage proposals made near it through the years. Every 25 years since 1886, the graduating class of the College of Liberal Arts has been allowed to chisel their class year into Proposal Rock.

University of Florida
Gainesville, Fla.

GPA Rock is a 30 million-year-old, 10-ton chert rock, erected in the spring of 1984 after nine years of preparation. A UF professor spotted the stone at aquarry in Brooksville, and was reminded of a modern piece of sculpture. Donated to the UF geology department by the Crushed Stone Corp. of Brooksville, the rock was transported to South Carolina to have the base sawed off and a hole drilled for a pipe. It was also sandblasted and had several coats of plastic applied before it was lowered by crane onto its pedestal in front of General Purpose (Building) A. Although the building was later renamed Turlington Hall, GPA Rock remains a stalwart UF campus landmark.

Macalester College
St. Paul, Minn.

The 700-pound Rock was rolled to Macalester in 1908, and was moved by students to various campus locations several times over the years. In the 1960s, students from Carleton College in nearby Northfield stole the rock and then mailed it back—C.O.D. It was cemented into its present location in front of Old Main in 1965, and since then, has been a touchstone for students and a focal point for spray-painted messages of all types—philosophical, anti-war, anti-administration, and dorm-warfare propaganda.

The College of Wooster
Wooster, Ohio

Wooster’s Rock was a gift from the Class of 1874. They moved it several blocks up a hill from the back yard of a professor’s home to a campus site at the corner of University and College streets. It has a less colorful history than its counterparts across the country, apparently never having been painted or defaced in any way since “1874” was carved on its face.


Reprinted (after being edited for this magazine) with permission from The Rock, the magazine of Whittier College. This article was compiled by Judy Kidder Browning.

<< >>
Maintained by: Office of College Communications Last Update: July 15, 2008 8:39 am
600 First Street West, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, 52314 ©2004 Cornell College; All Rights Reserved