Thomas Commons: New era begins
By the time you read this, work will have started on the renovation and expansion of the Thomas Commons. The project got an official start in mid-May with a ceremonial groundbreaking, and construction crews arrived on June 5.
Cornell is known and respected for its vibrant, caring, and engaged living and learning community, and the new Thomas Commons is designed to engage that community and serve as its physical and social hub. When complete it is expected to have a significant impact on student recruitment and retention.
The 26-month project will bring sweeping changes:
- A new façade will add vibrancy and blend into Cornell’s
- A spacious entry, updated info desk, and prominent logo store will greet students and guests upon entering
- Additions will increase and improve dining and multi-
- An elevator will add accessibility
- Additional classrooms will provide more space for teaching and learning
Giving new life to the Thomas Commons will foster what has always been a Cornell strength—its community.
Visit the Thomas Commons website to follow progress in real time via webcam, view photo galleries, and learn more about the project.