Why is diversity important in college? Cornell sociology professor Tori Barnes-Brus '97 recommends an article published online on Aug. 12, 2009, in U.S. News & World Report by Aaron Thompson, coauthor with Joe Cuseo of Diversity and the College Experience. In short, these are his reasons:
- Diversity expands worldliness.
- Diversity enhances social development.
- Diversity prepares students for future career success.
- Diversity prepares students for work in a global society.
- Interactions with people different from ourselves increase our knowledge base.
- Diversity promotes creative thinking.
- Diversity enhances self-awareness.
- Diversity enriches the multiple perspectives developed by a liberal arts education.
Read the full article here.