Petronius: Select Bibliography
Articles suitable for the summary/reaction papers are listed in the last section. Many are on
reserve or available on JSTOR.
Petronius: Introductory Works
- Hagg, Tomas. The Novel in Antiquity. Blackwell. 1983.
- Hofmann, Heinz. Latin Fiction: The Latin Novel in Context. Routledge 1999.
- Luce, T. James, ed. 1982. Ancient Writers:
Greece and Rome. New York: Scribner.
- Walsh, P. G. The Roman Novel. Cambridge 1970.
Roman Food and Culture
- Dalby, Andrew, and Sally Grainger. The Classical Cookbook. British Museum 2000.
- Donahue, John F. Food and Drink in Antiquity: Readings from the Graeco-Roman World. A Sourcebook. London/New York: Bloomsbury Academic, 2015.
- -----. "The Roman Feast: An Overview." In The Roman Community at Table During the Principate. Michigan 2004. 14-42.
- Dunbabbin, Katherine. The Roman Banquet: Images of Conviviality. Cambridge 2003, esp. chs 1-2.
- Faas, Patrick, and Shaun Whiteside. Around the Roman Table: Food and Feasting in Ancient Rome. Chicago 2005.
- Gold, Barbara K., and John F. Donahue, eds. Roman Dining: Special Issue of the American Journal of Philology. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins, 2005.
- Grimm, Veronika. "On Food and the Body." In D. Potter, ed. Companion to the Roman Empire. Blackwell 2006. 596-623.
- Sebesta Judith, Lynn & Bonfante, eds. 1994. The World of Roman Costume. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- Slater, William J., ed. Dining in a Classical Context. Michigan 1991.
- Thurman, David. A Handbook of Food Processing in Classical Rome: For her Bounty No Winter. Leiden: Brill, 2006.
Petronius' Satyrica *
- Conte, Gian Biaggio. The Hidden Author: An Interpretation of Petronius' Satyricon. Berkeley: California, 1996.
- Courtney, Edward. A Companion to Petronius. Oxford 2001.
- Hallett, Judith P. "Resistant (and Enabling) Reading: Petronius' Satyricon and Latin Love Elegy." In S. Panayotakis, et al., eds. The Ancient Novel and Beyond. Brill 2003. 329-44.
- Harrison, S. J., ed. Oxford Readings in the Roman Novel. Oxford 1999.
- Prag, Jonathan, and Ian Repath, eds. Petronius: A Handbook. Blackwell 2006.
- Rimell, Victoria. Petronius and the Anatomy of Fiction. Cambridge 2002.
- Slater, Niall. Reading Petronius. Johns Hopkins 1990.
Further Research *
- Ancient Narrative is a journal that focuses on Greek, Roman, Jewish novelistic traditions, including novels proper, the "fringe", as well as the fragments; narrative texts of the Byzantine age, early Christian narrative texts - and the reception of these works in modern literature, film and music.
- TOCS-IN, Tables of Contents of journals in Classics. Type in the topic or author you are searching for