Mentoring and Tutoring Program
JOB TITLE: Mentoring Program Coordinator OFFICE: Civic Engagement
DEPARTMENT: Student Life DIVISION: Student Affairs
REPORTS TO: Director of Civic Engagement TERM: Academic year
WAGE: $8.25 per hour
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a service liaison between Cornell College and local schools.
- Coordinate Cornell Success Lab
- Recruit Cornell and community students to be involved
- Train Cornell students on college and Middle School policies and procedures as well as techniques for appropriate and effective mentoring
- Prepare and lead Cornell Success Lab, group discussions, and group activities, or identify a group member to do so.
- Serve as a liaison between students and their parents, the schools themselves, and the Civic Engagement Office
- Attend blockly staff meetings
- Meet with the Director of Civic Engagement one-on-one 1-2 times each block
- Assist in the marketing and promotion of the Civic Engagement Office
- Coordinate activities with other members of the staff and work as a team to achieve the goals of the Civic Engagement Office
- Assist with other projects and duties as assigned
Interest in service and in coordination of service programs; interest in working with youth; positive attitude; willingness to be flexible and to adapt to change quickly; strong written and oral communication skills; basic computer skills
You will have $1000/year college work-study award with the Civic Engagement Office. This position requires a federal work study award. This will allow for 5-6 work hours each week for the first three weeks of the block. The Coordinator is encouraged to check in at the office regularly and is expected to work at least two hours in the office each week during the first three weeks of the block. A professional attitude, appearance and demeanor must be maintained when in the office. Confidentiality is expected in all matters containing sensitive information.
Beyond the specifically detailed description of duties, the coordinator is asked to work on basic office tasks, including running errands, copying, typing, and cleaning areas.