Applying for Financial Assistance

To receive financial assistance a student must meet the following criteria: have earned a high school diploma, a high school equivalency diploma in a home school setting, or a General Education Degree (GED); be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program; be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen; make satisfactory academic progress according to the institution’s policy; sign a statement of educational purpose/certification statement on refunds and default; and, male students must register with the Selective Service.

The drug conviction provision constitutes a new student eligibility requirement contained in the Higher Education Act (HEA) effective July 1, 2000. It provides that a student’s eligibility for Federal student aid is suspended if the student is convicted, under Federal or State law, of any offense involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance (generally meaning illegal drugs, but not including alcohol or tobacco). Any such suspension of eligibility begins on the date of the conviction and lasts until the end of a statutorily specified period. The suspension ranges from one year to indefinite, depending upon the number and type of convictions. A student may regain eligibility early by completing a drug rehabilitation program that meets certain statutory and regulatory requirements (including two unannounced drug tests), or if the conviction is overturned. For more information about the Drug Conviction regulation, please contact the Financial Assistance Office at 319-895-4216.

To apply for financial assistance, students must complete the federal financial aid form and submit required financial documents to the Office of Financial Assistance prior to March 1. Following March 1, funds are awarded on an “as available” basis. The federal financial assistance form may be obtained from the student’s high school, from Cornell, or completed via the internet. Students must apply for financial assistance each year.