1. A registration or change of registration becomes official upon being recorded by the Registrar's Office in accordance with the regulations and procedures explained below.
  2. Enrolled students register in the spring for all Blocks of the following academic year. Students admitted at the start of the fall semester with more than 7.0 course credits register for the entire year before arriving on campus. All other admitted students register for Block One before arriving on campus, Blocks Two through Four on campus during orientation, and in October for the remainder of the year. Readmitted students and students admitted after Block 1 should consult with the Coordinator of Academic Support and Advising. After registering, students may drop and add courses as described under "Adding and Dropping Courses."
  3. Registration in the spring and October is not on a first-come, first-served basis. Instead, students are given a certain number of points and bid for their courses. In theory, the more important a course is to a student, the more points he or she will bid for that course. Students whose bid is too low to admit them to a course or whose course is canceled or who neglect to register for any course in a given Block will be registered with the notation "No Course." Students who have one or more "No Course" notations on their schedule must re-register during the special Accommodation Session held soon after Registration, or as otherwise directed.
  4. Failure to register will be interpreted as a tacit declaration of intent to withdraw from the College, and the student will become ineligible to return to Cornell for the next academic year and to qualify for College housing or Cornell financial aid.
  5. Full-time degree candidates must register for eight Blocks and must earn at least seven Block credits every academic year during their first, sophomore, and junior years in order to remain in good standing. Seniors should register for needed courses and for vacation in the remainder of the Blocks that semester. Students who enter after Block One must register for all the Blocks remaining in that academic year in order to be considered as making satisfactory progress. For an exception to this rule, see "Reduced Programs." This paragraph does not apply to Continuing Education students.
  6. Students must register for off-campus programs, independent studies, and internships in the same way that they register for regular courses.
  7. Occasionally courses are taught over two consecutive Blocks (36 class days) under the Parallel Format, which permits students to carry two courses concurrently or to take one Parallel Course along with an independent study. No credit is given for completing only the first Block of a Parallel Course. The regulations and procedures for registering for Parallel Courses and for changing such registrations are the same as for single-Block courses with the exceptions noted under "Adding and Dropping Courses," item 9. It is not possible to combine a Parallel Course with a single-Block course.
  8. Other courses may be taught in an alternate format, e.g., two courses offered concurrently and as co-requisites or two courses taught consecutively with related topics. Registration information for these courses will be available at the time of registration.
  9. Before registering for and entering any course, the student is responsible for reading the description of that course in this Catalogue or in its supplements. If there is a prerequisite, the student must satisfy it before the course begins or must obtain the permission of the instructor before entering. Instructors have the right to drop a registered student from their course if he or she has not satisfied the prerequisites.
  10. Independent study courses and internships numbered in the 200s and 300s, whether on or off campus, are open only to students who have completed the required minimum number of courses in the same department/interdisciplinary major, and for Individual Projects, a writing-designated course. Off-campus programs numbered in the 900s have special prerequisites and limits. (See Independent Study Courses and Off-Campus Programs.)
  11. Students are not permitted to enroll in or to receive credit for a lower-level course if they have already passed or been given credit for a course in the same department for which the lower-level course is an expressed prerequisite, unless written permission is granted by the department and filed with the Registrar.
  12. A student who is registered for a course must be present at all class meetings during the first three days of the Block or risk being dropped from the class and having her or his place given to another student. Students who are unable to be present should be in touch with the instructor in advance to see whether he or she will hold their places. Instructors are not, however, required to hold places or to admit students at the door.
  13. If, at the close of registration, a student is unable to gain admission to a course and the instructor and department chair are willing to extend the course's enrollment limit (cap), the student may be admitted to the closed course. Permission will be granted only in cases of genuine hardship and provided the extension of the cap does not exceed four. The student must demonstrate that the course is needed to fulfill a degree or major requirement for which there is no alternative in the same or a different department, and that the course or its alternative cannot be taken in a different Block or in a later year.
  14. Courses are normally capped at 25. Some courses have lower caps. A list of such courses is available from the Registrar's Office.
  15. To aid students in course selection, Cornell College publishes course information online. Information for all staffed courses can be found on the Registrar’s web page at Course information for the following academic year will be posted no later than one week before the first day of spring registration. Course information and syllabi may be adjusted until the first day of a course, and even during a course, and as such may differ from the version found online. Students should report any missing information to the Office of Academic Affairs.