Internships supported by the McWethy Program offer life changing opportunities for students through work experience at some of the most respected organizations in the U.S. and overseas. In these professional settings, students gain real-world experience, career insights, and personal connections while contributing to the operations of their employers.
The McWethy Program assists students with internships in the following ways:
- Working collaboratively with the Berry Career Institute to help students through the beginning of the internship process, including creating or updating resumes, applying for the internships, as well as preparing for interviews.
- Providing financial support for internships.
To obtain McWethy Program support for internships, students need to complete an application and follow funding guidelines.
Southern Cone Group, Montevideo, Uruguay
An international finance internship in a multi-cultural, bilingual environment provided an extraordinary learning opportunity for Diego Verdugo. The Southern Cone Group is an asset management company that specializes in fixed-income securities, real estate development, and agricultural investment. Verdugo monitored global financial markets, prepared reports, and provided client services. His bilingual skills enabled him to become an integral part of the team. “Writing an article in Spanish on hedging price risk in agricultural projects, using finance concepts I had learned in English was a unique challenge,” according to Verdugo. “It helped me develop an ability to work productively in both languages”. He is currently a Financial Planning Analyst in Santiago, Chile.
Dallas Cowboys, Dallas, Texas
After visiting the Dallas Cowboys with the “Economics of Sports” class during the spring of 2010, Kyle Davy was awarded a competitive internship in the marketing department of the Dallas Cowboys in Dallas, Texas. His internship provided him with an intense introduction to the world of event planning on a large scale and with a renowned brand, the Dallas Cowboys. Davy successfully applied the knowledge learned in the classroom to his internship experience. “In microeconomics we discussed the importance of product differentiation to the firm’s ability to price above the market equilibrium price,” Davy said. “Working in the special events department at the Cowboys allowed me to witness this concept first hand."
"I loved the excitement in the office each day, and I am very pleased that I had the opportunity to gain sales skills through the internship. This is the best way to get started in the sports management field." Davy is currently a senior account executive for the Iowa Energy, an NBA Development League basketball team based in Des Moines.
Citigroup, New York City
Sarah Song was one of 400 summer analysts selected to participate in a highly competitive internship program with a 7% acceptance rate. She worked with the North American commercial cards team on five major projects involving pricing models, marketing initiatives, and preparation of training materials. “With operations in over 100 countries, Citi is truly global and remarkably diverse,” Song said. “It greatly values its inclusive, innovative and merit-based culture”. Song found the internship helped her understand the connections between the global financial industry, and her academic program at Cornell. She was invited back for a second summer internship experience at Citi. She is now a financial analyst at Citigroup, working in the office of the Chief Technology Officer.
Additional Internship Experiences Supported by the McWethy Program
- Eli Wade-Scott – Office of U.S. Senator Tom Harkin (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Emily Burnham – Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commission (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Katie Gieszler – Iowa Department of Economic Development (Des Moines, IA)
- Merci Wolff – EMILY’s List (Washington, DC)
- Xinrui Zeng – Yale-China (New Haven, CT)
- Lisa Chen – Office of Congressman David Loebsack (Washington, D.C.)
- Justin Brown – UBS Financial Services (Davenport, IA)
- Echo Liu – JPMorgan Chase (New York City, NY)
- Matt Pfister – Merrill Lynch (Chicago, IL)
- Linh Pham – Deloitte Vietnam (Hanoi, Vietnam)
- Dung Tran – BeManaged financial consulting (Grand Rapids, MI)
MARKETING AND BUSINESS ANALYSIS
- Thu Ra – Quaker Oats (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Joseph Dowdy – VanMeter Industrial Co. (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Dzung Dang – ESP International (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Chrissy Rasor – Seattle Thunderbirds hockey (Seattle, WA)
- Namita Shah – Amazing Edibles (Chicago, IL)
- Melissa Mannon – United Way of East Central Iowa (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Brittany Atchison – Bread for the World (Minneapolis, MN)
- Zari Zahra – Corporate Accountability International (Boston, MA)
- David Boussios – Cascade Policy Institute (Portland, OR)
- Nga Dinh – Translational Genomics Research Institute (Phoenix, AZ)
- Emmy Slocum – Milwaukee Repertory Theatre (Milwaukee, WI)
- Kaltrina Luzha – Center for Entrepreneurship and Executive Development (Pristina, Kosovo)
- Jordan Welder – Pro World (Cape Coast, Ghana)
McWethy Program-Related Cornell Fellowship Experiences
Cornell Fellows is the college’s premiere internship program. In addition to obtaining internship support through the McWethy Program, students with an interest in economics, business and public policy take advantage of opportunities available through the Cornell Fellows program.
- Xinrui Zeng – Council on Foreign Relations (New York, NY)
- Fia Wulur – National Association of Chain Drug Stores (Washington, D.C.)
- Jennifer Knox – Global Zero (Washington, D.C.)
- Daniel Rowland – Office of Senator Charles Grassley (Washington, D.C.)
- Kalissa Holdcraft – U.S. Conference of Mayors (Washington, D.C.)
- Tim Muszynski – Baird (Milwaukee, WI)
- Ryan Caulfield – Marquette Bank (Minneapolis, MN)
MARKETING AND BUSINESS ANALYSIS
- Chase Nowak – Target (Minneapolis, MN)
- CJ Brooks – Lanxess specialty chemicals (Germany)
- Yee Phyu – Teacher Created Materials (Huntington Beach, CA)
- Matt Pfister – Riverside Casino (Riverside, IA)
- Spencer Partridge – BCS, Inc. management consulting firm in energy markets (Arvada, CO)
- Griffin LaDew – 15-in-Five Initiative (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Meredith Tubbs – National Czech & Slovak Museum (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Elizabeth Greaves – RE-AMP Fellow in Energy Efficiency: Plains Justice (Cedar Rapids, IA)
- Elizabeth Bennett – Women’s Initiative for Self-Empowerment (Accra, Ghana)
For more information about internships, please contact the Associate Director of the McWethy Program.