Resources for Students
Internships, Field Experiences, Jobs in Archaeology
- Archaeological Fieldwork and Opportunities Bulletin, sponsored by the Archaeological Institute of America each year.
- Shovelbums, archaeology and anthropology field school directory and job listings
- Past Horizons: archaeology projects, volunteer opportunities, field schools
- Office of the State Archaeologist (Iowa). Learn about Iowa's past! The site features information on archaeology in Iowa, public programs, local excavations, and more.
Professional Organizations and Sites about Cultural Resources
- Archaeological Institute of America
- Society for American Archaeology
- National Park Service website about cultural resources
- American Cultural Resources Association
Field Schools and Projects
- American Research Center in Sofia Summer Archaeology Program: "Promoting the rich history and culture of Bulgaria and the Balkans; supporting a new generation of researchers and thinkers."
- Apprenticeship in Heritage Management at the Land Between the Lakes (Kentucky and Tennessee): for graduating seniors
- Archaeological Techniques and Research Center in Transylvania, Romania: field projects from the iron age to Roman, osteology to funerary.
- Balkan Heritage Field School: Neolithic through Byzantine sites, Roman mosaics and Byzantine frescoes, photography and ceramics, and more.
- Center for American Archaeology, located in Kampsville, Illinois, offers summer internships and excavation experience.
- Corinth Computer Project features a 3D fly-through of Corinth, a Quicktime movie of the Roman forum, interactive stone for stone archaeological plans, digital maps, 3D models, site photographs, satellite images, interactive GIS data and literary texts.
- Dhiban Excavation and Development Project investigates the archaeology, environment, and history of Dhiban, a Middle Eastern town located today in west-central Jordan. The co-directors are professors at Knox College.
- Kenchreai Cemetery Project. Kenchreai, the port of the great city of Corinth on the Aegean Sea, is the site of a four-week summer program introduces students to the archaeology, history and culture of Greece through participation in a field school and accompanying seminars and excursions.
- Prehistoric Archaeology of the Aegean, a course offered at Dartmouth by Prof. Jeremy Rutter.
- Pylos Regional Archaeology Project.
- Project Troia offers an account of the recent excavations by a joint team of German and American researchers, links to the museum exhibit Troia: Dream and Reality, the controversy surrounding the new interpretation of the excavation, and Troia VR which offers reconstructions of Bronze Age Troy.
- Restoring Ancient Stabiae. Just three miles from Pompeii, Stabiae was the home of summer villas of the Roman elite. Cornell grad Summer Trentin has worked there through the University of Maryland under the direction of Dr. Lindley Vann.