- Since 1996, Professor of Psychology, Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, Iowa, USA
- Ph. D. Psychology, Kansas State University, 1984
- M. S. Psychology, Kansas State University, 1978
- B.S. Psychology, The University of Iowa, 1973
Recent Service and Special Activities
- 2011-Present - Faculty Advisor, Cornell Fellows Program
- 1999-Present - Served as Ad-Hoc Reviewer for the journals Animal Cognition, Animal Learning and Behavior, Journal of Comparative Psychology, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Behavior Processes, Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology
- 2012-2013 - Co-Chair, Reaccreditation Committee, Cornell College
- 2010-2013 - Outside Evaluator, Sharon Walker Faculty Excellence Award, Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa
- 2009-2012 - Chair, Committee on Student Life, Cornell College
- 2008-2009 - Chair, Department of Psychology, Cornell College
Recent Presentations and Publications
Astley, S. L. & Aird, T. (2013, November). Providing outcomes on all trials reduces the Feature Positive Effect. Paper presented at the 54th Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society in Toronoto, Ontario, Canada.
Astley, S. L. and Bouton, M. (2012, September). The Long + Effect as demonstrated by humans playing a video game. Paper presented at the Joint Conference of the International Society for Comparative Psychology and the Spanish Society for Comparative Psychology at the Unversity of Jaen, Jaen, Spain.
- Astley, S. L. and Spangler, B. (2010, April). Incidental learning and change of attitudes. Paper presented at the Annual Conference on Associative Learning at the University of Cardiff, Wales.
- Astley, S. L. (2007, June). Priming of object recognition in pigeons. Invited paper presented at Keio and Chiba Universities in Japan.
- Astley, S. L., Cutts, E. A., Simpson, S. & Burke, J. (2003, May). Priming of object recognition in pigeons. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Midwestern Psychology Association, Chicago, Illinois.
- Astley, S. L., Peissig, J. & Wasserman, E. A. (2001). Superordinate categorization via learned stimulus equivalence: Quantity of reinforcement, hedonic value, and the nature of the mediator. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Behavior Processes, 27, 252-268.