- Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003
- B.S., Physics and Chemistry (double major), Missouri State University, 1998
Cornell College, Department of Chemistry
Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor
Department Chair (2010-2013)
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Chemical Sciences Division, Nanomaterials Chemistry Group
Visiting Faculty (July 2009-July 2010, May-Aug 2014, June 2016-June 2017)
Oak Ridge Science Semester
Resident Faculty Director, Fall 2009 and Fall 2016
- CHE 108: Forensic Science: Real Life CSI
- CHE 121: Chemical Principles I
- CHE 122: Chemical Principles II
- CHE 161: Accelerated General Chemistry
- CHE 202: Analytical Chemistry
- CHE 323: Physical Chemistry I
- CHE 324: Physical Chemistry II
- CHE 339: Advanced Physical Chemistry
- ENV 202: Introduction to Environmental Chemistry
- CHE/BMB 380: Internship (occasional)
- CHE 390: Individual Project (occasional)
- CHE 485: Chemical Research (occasional)
- 24 student-summers completed to date
- New materials for carbon dioxide capture: experimental characterization of distinctive materials such as room temperature ionic liquids and porous solids
- Computational chemistry: electronic structure calculations (density functional, Hartree-Fock, post-Hartree-Fock) on systems including but not limited to ion-carbon dioxide interactions and spectra of novel dye systems; member, Midwest Undergraduate Computational Chemistry Consortium
- Nanoscience: synthesis and characterization of nanoparticles and nanomaterials with inorganic stabilizing agents, usually related to polyoxometalates
- Surface chemistry: investigation of metal oxide surfaces and adsorbates, usually polyoxometalates
Pedagogical Innovation and Professional Networks
- Adaptation of the Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning (POGIL) framework to my courses and the One Course At A Time calendar; students discover content themselves through carefully designed activities and structured group work; POGIL pedagogy delivers content while also intentionally focusing on lifelong learning skills such as teamwork, communication, and problem solving; classroom beta testing of new POGIL materials for physical chemistry
- Restructuring the physical chemistry sequence in a new and unusual way to enhance connections in the material and make the courses more relevant and interesting for three different student populations: chemistry, physics, and biochemistry/molecular biology majors
- Participation in the POGIL-Physical Chemistry Laboratory project to bring guided inquiry laboratory experiences into physical chemistry; workshop attendance, experiment writing and revision, experiment reviewing, beta testing in class
- Participation in strategic plan initiatives of the POGIL Project, including projects on reducing the barriers to implementation and the Activity Development Network
- Upcoming participation in SPIRAL: Strengthening the use of Process, Inquiry, Reflection, and Application in the Laboratory, an effort to write, review, test, and implement POGIL lab activities in introductory chemistry
- Engaging Students in Physical Chemistry Google Group: Originator, organizer, and moderator of an online forum for physical chemistry faculty members to discuss course content, discuss pedagogy, and share resources and ideas
- Participation in Project Kaleidoscope activities to reform undergraduate science education
Recent publications; corresponding authors asterisked, undergraduate authors daggered
- "Preparation and CO2 Adsorption Properties of Soft-Templated Mesoporous Carbons Derived from Chestnut Tannin Precursors," K.M. Nelson, S.M. Mahurin*, R.T. Mayes, B. Williamson†, C.M. Teague, A.J. Binder, L. Baggetto, G.M. Veith, S. Dai*, Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 222, 94-103, 2016.
- "Computational Investigation of Reactive to Nonreactive Capture of Carbon Dioxide by Oxygen-Containing Lewis Bases," C.M. Teague*, S. Dai, and D. Jiang*, J. Phys. Chem. A 114(43), 11761-11767, 2010.
Selected recent presentations; corresponding authors asterisked, undergraduate authors daggered, presenters underlined
- Upcoming oral: "Reimagining the hydrogen emission experiment through guided inquiry: Focusing on atom energy levels," C.M. Teague, C. Salter, S. Singleton, Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Greeley, CO, 8/16.
- Upcoming oral: "Multiple efforts to focus on student learning," C.M. Teague, Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Greeley, CO, 8/16.
- Oral: "Computational study of interactions between CO2 and free anions," T. Pavlik† and C.M. Teague*, Student Symposium, Cornell College, Mount Vernon, IA, 4/16.
- Poster: "Carbon dioxide capture with ionic liquids," C. Keenan† and C.M. Teague*, Student Symposium, Cornell College, Mount Vernon, IA, 4/16.
- Video: Thoughts on science, teaching, and active learning, C.M. Teague, Tiny Talks on Big Topics, Cornell College, Mount Vernon, IA, released 12/15, link to video.
- Poster: "Electronic structure investigations into carbon dioxide-ionic liquid interactions," T. Pavlik† and C.M. Teague*, 25th Conference, Midwest Undergraduate Computational Chemistry Consortium, Evanston, IL, 7/15.
- Poster: "Investigation of CO2 capture and separation in room-temperature ionic liquid," J. Wang†, S.M. Mahurin*, C.M. Teague, C.-L. Do-Tranh, D.-E. Jiang, K.M. Nelson, B. Williamson†, S. Dai*, Student Symposium, Cornell College, Mount Vernon, IA, 4/15.
- Live webstream: "The story of the atom: How to be wrong, know you are wrong, and win the Nobel Prize anyway," Block Talk, Cornell College, Mount Vernon, IA, 3/15.
- Oral: "Redesigning the hydrogen spectrum experiment for guided inquiry," C. Salter and C.M. Teague, 249th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Denver, CO, 3/15
- Online: "Advanced numerical analysis of adsorption processes," B. Williamson†, K. Nelson, S.M. Mahurin*, C.M. Teague, 24th Conference, Midwest Undergraduate Computational Chemistry Consortium, 2/15.
Selected grants as principal investigator:
- "Pairing ionic liquids with functional supports: New nanomaterials for CO2 separation and capture," C.M. Teague* and S.M. Mahurin*, Department of Energy Visiting Faculty Program, awarded 3/16.
- “Investigation of CO2 Binding and Transport in Ionic Liquids,” C.M. Teague* and D.E. Jiang*, Department of Energy Visiting Faculty Program, awarded 3/14.
- Five awards from the Iowa College Foundation R.J. McElroy Student/Faculty Research Program.
- Several internal awards for student/faculty research, faculty travel, course development, and sabbatical funding.
Selected grants as external user; these instruments at the University of Iowa and Coe College are available for our use in research and teaching:
- "Acquisition of a vibrational sum frequency generation spectrometer," S. Shaw*, Department of Defense, awarded 3/16.
- “MRI: Acquisition of an Integrated AFM/Raman/SNOM System for Materials Characterization,” M. Affatigato*, S. Singleton, S. Feller, M. Dean, National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation, awarded 7/12.
- “Acquisition of a Scanning Electron Microscope for Undergraduate Research at Coe College,” M. Affatigato*, M.A. Dean, S.A. Feller, M.R. Leonardo, and S. Singleton, National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation, awarded 7/07.
- Campbell McConnell Sabbatical Fellow, Cornell College, 2009-2010 and 2016-2017
- Gaarde-Morton Junior Faculty Award, Cornell College, 2006
- Graduate Teacher Certificate, University of Illinois, 2000
- Phi Lambda Upsilon National Chemistry Honor Society, 1999
- Outstanding Graduate, Missouri State University, 1998
Service to the Cornell Community
- Committee on Administration, 2014-16
- Subcommittee on Reappointment, Tenure, and Promotion (elected position)
- Dean's Performance Review Subcommittee
- Faculty Representative, Crisis Planning and Preparedness Committee, 2012-2015
- Advisor, Deepwater, 2012-2016
- Environmental Studies Program Committee, 2007-present
- Chair, Subcommittee on Academic Regulations and Member, Committee on Academic Affairs, 2013-14
- Chair, Subcommittee on Academic Programs and Member, Committee on Academic Affairs, 2011-12
- Member, Reaccreditation Committee, 2005-2009, 2010-11
- Chair, Committee on Committees (elected position), 2007-2009
- Various search committees including for Director of Information Technology and for College Librarian
- Various activities in support of the Admission and Development divisions
Service to the Profession
- Symposium organizer at four national meetings
- American Chemical Society Exams Institute, Physical Chemistry Committee
- Advisory Board, Oak Ridge Science Semester
- Reviewer for the Journal of Chemical Education, the Journal of Physical Chemistry, and American Chemical Society Books
- Master's chemistry defense committee, Missouri State University
- Board of Advisors, Missouri State University Department of Chemistry
- S.M. Mahurin and S. Dai, Oak Ridge National Laboratory; study of novel ionic liquid systems for carbon dioxide capture
- D.E. Jiang, University of California - Riverside; study of novel ionic liquid systems for carbon dioxide capture
- S. Singleton, Coe College; writing guided inquiry labs; physical chemistry pedagogy innovation
- C. Salter, Moravian College; writing guided inquiry labs
- C. Liberko, Cornell College; study of a new class of ionic dyes
- Midwest Undergraduate Computational Chemistry Consortium
- American Chemical Society: Divisions of Surface and Colloid Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, and Chemical Education; Iowa Local Section
- American Physical Society: Fora on History of Physics, Physics Education; Prairie Section
- Midwestern Association of Chemistry Teachers in Liberal Arts Colleges
- American Scientific Affiliation
Recent Conferences Attended
Selected recent conferences and workshops
- Upcoming: Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Greeley, CO, upcoming 8/16.
- 26th Conference, Midwest Undergraduate Computational Chemistry Consortium, online, 2/16.
- Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning (POGIL) Facilitator Training Workshop, Myrtle Beach, SC, 1/16.
- 25th Conference, Midwest Undergraduate Computational Chemistry Consortium, Evanston, IL, 7/15.
- Project Kaleidoscope Summer Leadership Institute, Adamstown, MD, 7/15.
- POGIL National Meeting, St. Louis, MO, 6/15.
- POGIL Physical Chemistry Lab workshops, 2/15; 10/14; 1/14; 7/13; 3/13; 8/12.
- 24th Conference, Midwest Undergraduate Computational Chemistry Consortium, online, 2/15.
- Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Allendale, MI, 8/14.
- POGIL National Meeting, St. Louis, 6/14.
- American Chemical Society National Meeting, Indianapolis, 9/13.
- Several church activities
- Several musical ensembles