TO: All Full-Time Faculty and Lecturers, Lab Instructors and other Academic Instructional Staff who are appointed above the half-time level on a continuing basis
FROM: R. Joseph Dieker, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College
DATE: January 31, 2014
SUBJECT: McConnell Travel Fund - for travel between July 1, 2014, and June 30, 2015
We are pleased to announce the availability of support for faculty travel through the McConnell Travel Fund for the 2014-15 academic year. These funds will support travel opportunities that occur between July 1, 2014, and June 30, 2015. This endowed fund, established by Campbell McConnell ‘50, recognizes that regular professional interaction and continued development for faculty members is important to the intellectual life of Cornell College.
Funds are limited and awards depend on the amount currently available and the number and quality of proposals submitted.
McConnell Travel awards may range from $100 to a maximum of $2,500. Funds will be available July 1, 2014. If additional funds are available, a second call for proposals for the spring semester of the 2014-15 academic year will be issued next fall.
Please be reminded that an allocation of $600 per faculty member will be available during the 2014-15 academic year to support conference travel from our Mellon Foundation grant. When applying for these McConnell funds to attend a conference, please specify how you plan to use the Mellon allocation and justify the need for additional funding.
1) The McConnell Travel Fund will support faculty travel, including attendance at professional meetings and travel for special projects and initiatives, if approved by the Dean of the College.
2) The Dean of the College will receive recommendations for awarding McConnell Travel grants from the Faculty Development Advisory Committee.
2) Travel funds may be obtained by requesting a travel loan in advance or by submitting receipts for reimbursement. In either case, the “Travel Loan and Expense Reporting Form” must be completed and submitted with itemized documentation to Nancy Rawson in the Office of Academic Affairs for review and approval, within 30 days of incurring the expenses. In regard to the use of these funds, please refer to the Business Expense Reimbursement Policy on the Business Services werbpage.
3) The total amount awarded for meals will be capped at $230 (with no single day's food reimbursement to exceed $46). Applicants may request additional daily amounts for those cities with higher rates as established by the IRS. However, the maximum amount requested cannot exceed $230 (the equivalent of five days).
4) Awarded funds must be used for the purposes described in the proposal. If a faculty member wishes to use the funds in any other way, he or she must consult with the Dean in advance to seek approval.
5) Funds should be expended in full by June 30, 2015. Grantees must submit a pertinent activity report summarizing achievements and expenditures to the Office of Academic Affairs by September 1, 2015. The grantee cannot be considered for additional faculty development funding if the report is not filed.
1) Proposals of 1 – 2 pages should include:
a. A description of the proposed travel.
b. A statement explaining how this activity contributes to the faculty member’s professional development.
c. An itemized budget, with justification of each item.
d. Other information you consider appropriate.
2) Submit the proposal to Nancy Rawson, Office of Academic Affairs, by March 3, 2014. She will acknowledge the receipt of the proposal. Retain a copy for your file. Awards will be announced by the end of March 2014.