TO: Eligible Faculty
FROM: Joe Dieker, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College
DATE: September 19, 2016
SUBJECT: Campbell McConnell Sabbatical Fellowships and Support in 2017-18
We wish to announce the availability of support for sabbatical projects through the Campbell McConnell Fund for the 2017-18 academic year. Through the generosity of Campbell McConnell ’50, several awards will be available to support faculty members’ major scholarly, creative, or curricular projects through professional travel or other expenses related to the proposed projects.
1) The Campbell McConnell Fund will provide sabbatical support for significant faculty development projects in such areas as scholarly research, creative activity, curriculum development, and pedagogy. Grantees may apply for continuations of projects already under way.
2) Awards may be made at varying levels up to $10,000 (dependent upon endowment funding) to support projects associated with a faculty member’s sabbatical leave. Selected recipients shall be recommended to be designated as Campbell R. McConnell Fellows.
3) McConnell Fellows will be appointed by the Dean, who will receive recommendations from the Faculty Development Advisory Committee following their review of submitted proposals. Fellows are appointed for the 2017-18 academic year.
4) Sabbatical support funds will be disbursed upon submission of receipts of related expenses or documentation of costs incurred. Please be in touch with Kimberly Taylor to make specific arrangements for reimbursement relating to this project. All invoices and receipts for reimbursement must be submitted by June 30, 2018.
5) A written report on activities related to this project is due in the Office of Academic Affairs by September 1, 2018. New applications for faculty development funding will not be considered until current activity reports have been filed.
6) Each McConnell Fellow will also make a public presentation related to the supported project in the year following the appointment.
1) Funding from the Campbell McConnell Fund is competitive. Your application for sabbatical funding should accompany your application for sabbatical leave. The Campbell McConnell Fund proposal must include a detailed itemized budget, with justification of items. As you prepare your request, follow the College’s Business Expense Reimbursement Policy and purchasing guidelines and note other sources of support, both pending or awarded. Other information you consider appropriate may also be included.
2) These funds should not be used to support the purchase of equipment, computers, hardware, software, printers and other computing accessories. These items can be requested through the College’s regular process for capital requests.
3) Funds cannot be used to purchase course release. All half-year sabbatical recipients are expected to teach three blocks.
4) In the case of a faculty member who wishes to take a full-year sabbatical (which comes at half-pay), that faculty member may request a salary supplement up to $5,000 for writing or project completion. This supplement is considered taxable income and will be paid over the course of the salary year.
5) Awarded funds must be used for the purposes described in the proposal. If a faculty member wishes to use the funds in any other way, he or she must consult with the Dean in advance to seek approval.
6) Submit the proposal to Kimberly Taylor, Office of Academic Affairs, by November 1, 2016, for projects to be undertaken during the 2017-18 academic year or during the summer of 2017. She will acknowledge the receipt of the application. Retain a copy for your file. Informal notification concerning leave requests and sabbatical funding will be made by mid-November; formal notification will be made following the winter meeting of the Board of Trustees.
Information on past Campbell McConnell sabbatical support awards can be found on the Academic Affairs website.