In 1883, Col. Henry Harrison Rood commissioned a 12-room house from Cass Chapman, the Chicago architect who had designed King Chapel and would design Bowman Hall the following year. The Class of 1894 purchased the house in 1919 and presented it to the college, which opened it that fall as “Rood Cottage” to house women students.
Two houses, which stood respectively where Merner and Olin are now, were moved and attached to Rood: the Alexander Crawford House in 1936 to the east side and the Anna Jordan House in 1954 to the north. The three buildings, connected by ramps and steps, had their special charm and coveted space: Tower Room, Sky Room, and Penthouse. Rood served as a men’s dormitory in 1931–32 and housed the Naval Cadets in 1943–44. It became co-ed in the fall of 2002.
In 2009, Rood House was completely renovated to become the Paul K. Scott Alumni Center. The building now houses the Office of Alumni and College Advancement and the Office of Marketing and Communcation.