The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (as amended)...
- is a federal law.
- is also commonly known as the Buckley Amendment.
- protects the privacy of a student's educational records.
- applies to all educational agencies or institutions that receive funds under any program administered by the Secretary of Education.
In a nutshell, FERPA gives students the right to:
- control the disclosure of their education records to others;
- inspect and review their education records; and,
- seek amendment of their education records.
* Adapted with permission from the University of North Texas FERPA Training.